UCP of Greater Cleveland’s Business Advisory Committee (BAC) is a group of professionals in Northeast Ohio who volunteer their time and expertise to increase participation of area businesses in the employment of individuals with disabilities. The BAC works in conjunction with UCP staff members to build awareness about vocational programming through networking and contact development with local companies.
Specific work groups have been established toward the following objectives:
- Marketing Vocational Services programming to the community through enhanced materials, presentations and relationships with the corporate sector
- Expanding opportunities for Individual Job Placement of individuals with disabilities by identifying labor market trends and effective individual job search strategies, as well as building relationships with the local business community
- Expanding the number of Supported Employment Sites through targeted research on appropriate site development and networking with area businesses to increase awareness of the benefits of a diverse workforce
- Increasing the number of paid work opportunities for individuals with disabilities enrolled in the Organizational Employment Program through targeted research and networking to locate and develop meaningful outsourced projects for the agency’s workshop
The year 2014 marked the creation of the Lorain County Business Advisory Committee (BAC), spearheaded by Community Employment Program Coordinator, Greg Zaryk. The Lorain County BAC is a dedicated group of specially selected business professionals in the Lorain County area who wish to volunteer their time and expertise to collaborate with UCP Staff members to increase awareness, involvement and participation of local businesses in UCP’s development and deployment of employment opportunities for persons with disabilities The Lorain County committee’s goal is more Project SEARCH-specific in its goals than our Cuyahoga County BAC. The Lorain BAC has grown to over twenty active members and led directly to several Project SEARCH student job placements, as well as a formal connection to Northeast Ohio Petco locations, which UCP hopes to develop into a work adjustment/training and placement site in the near future. This is a good indication of the benefits that this committee has and the outcomes it will lead to in the future.
Both BACs are made up of business professionals from a broad spectrum of businesses and industries throughout Northeast Ohio representing various areas of expertise.
Current members from the Cuyahoga BAC include individuals from:
- CBIZ Payroll, Inc.
- Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
- Cuyahoga Valley Career Center
- Fifth Third Bank
- Forest City Enterprises
- Jones Lang LaSalle
- Key Private Bank
- Minute Men Staffing Services
- New York Community Bancorp, Inc.
- Oatey Manufacturing
- Oatey SCS
- PNC Financial Services
- Rehmann Retirement Builders
- Townsend Group
- University Circle, Inc.
- Ver-A-Fast Corporation
Current members from the Lorain BAC include individuals from:
- Athena’s Restaurant & Taki’s Greek Kitchen Restaurant
- Atlas Cinemas Midway Mall 8
- Avon Oaks Caring Community
- Best Buy
- BrandPivot Inc.
- Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation/Lorain County
- Commerce Benefits Group
- City of North Ridgeville
- City of Sheffield Village
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Gander Mountain
- Lorain County Community College
- Madison Marquette – Midway Mall
- Marco’s Pizza
- Ramada Elyria
- Sherwin Williams
For information about membership on the BAC, please contact Director of Adult Services, Paul Soprano, at (216) 791-8363, ext 1258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.